Moving on to the next track: Painting Abstracts. This is a challenge because the current version is pretty much finished and rather good as it stands. However, I want to revisit some of the lyrics, and update the instrumentation.
The first task is to re-record the bass guitar using Guitar Rig 4.
I was driving home from Santa Rosa yesterday, admiring the scenery, and in particular, a certain hill with a group of trees clustered at the top. I noticed that the large tree in the center looked a little odd, sort of symmetrical but not entirely, and then I realized that it was probably a very well-disguised cell phone tower.
A short time later, I came up with the perfect title for our first album:
Fruit of the Steel Tree.
I've googled it and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere else, so I'm pretty sure we'll go with this. Awesome.
With the brass section nicely recorded, I am currently fighting the Telecaster which is being very bossy and insisting on replacing all the guitar parts.
Working on the Big Boys: The drums and bass are locked in, sounding great.
Now I've started re-recording the brass section. Given that I don't have access to a brass section, the trick to getting this sounding realistic is to record 3 separate tracks, independently, using different instruments. The Fantom has a nice brass trumpet patch - I'll use that for Trumpet #1. The Korg TR-Rack has another, slightly different sounding trumpet patch, mellower but nice vibrato: I'll use that for Trumpet #2. Then the bottom line of the chord will be held down with an Alto Sax, not sure which synth module will provide that. I'll have to do some comparisons and see which one sounds best. Probably the Korg TR.
The Echo Layla 3G is installed in my rack. Still figuring out how to use it. Last night monitoring didn't seem to be working at all, but this morning I read the manual. It helps. The secret is in the console application.
I think the bass for Big Boys is done. This week, working with the SPD-20 and XLN Addictive Drums, get them locked into the bass line.
I put new strings on the bass this week, in preparation for cleaning up Playing with the Big Boys. Now it's practice time, gotta build up those callouses again.
I was uploading Head In The Game yesterday and, upon listening to the mp3, I decided there were a couple of places the drums could be improved. So I tightened them up. No, I will not tell you whereabouts in the song it was.
I've finished the Telecaster tracks on GodProg:Enlightenment, and moved on to :Omnipotence.
There's something about the Telecaster... it just sounds so great. In some ways it is sad to replace the existing tracks, which feature the Ibanez 540s, my old faithful. But it's all about the tone, and the Telecaster's got it.
The end of the track has a solo in some freaking strange time signature, reminiscent of Siberian Khatru but I don't care.
The GodProg suite is slated for Album#2 so technically I'm not supposed to be working on this yet. But the only way I've found to keep moving forward is to follow the muse.
Still working on Enlightenment guitars. The Telecaster continues to shine.